Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My Best Vintage Finds of the Summer

I channel my inner Mike and Frank (American Picker fans, you'll know what I mean) each summer when I search through this crazy part of the country for hidden treasures. It's amazing what people have around here. Each year, my mom, aunt and I return to our favorite antique stores and also manage to stumble upon new places. A few of my favorite finds from this summer...

I love the colors on this Crawford County Fair poster. I found this at an estate sale, and the seller literally had to take it off of the barn wall to sell it to me.

I bought this stack of vintage pennants, and stuck in the middle was this Fairyland Forest pennant from Conneaut Lake Park.

This dog drawing was 80 cents. Yes, just 80 cents! Not only are there tons of treasures to be found, prices are great.

This last find just may be my favorite. I bought this at the same estate sale as the fair poster. This diary was kept by a young woman (I'm guessing in her early 20's) between 1936 and 1940. She lived in the area and mentions visiting familiar towns and places.

Kate found this small calendar tucked in the box below the diary. On it, the writer has marked dates when she received letters from two men (a '-' indicates one man, and a 'v' indicates the other).

She was quite the list maker. Also tucked in the box was this 'Date List' - a list of men who had asked her on a date. Number 7 says, 'the widower'. The list continues on the back of the paper.


I've warned my family to never sell a diary of mine at an estate sale (or anywhere!).

No comments: