Thursday, June 28, 2012

Hank's Frozen Custard in Conneaut Lake


We go to Hank's far more than I care to admit. A Conneaut Lake institution, Hank's has been serving frozen custard for 60 years. You can read more about Hank's from my post in 2008, or my post in 2009. Frozen custard is basically soft serve ice cream. Below, my dad is placing his order. 

Girls work at the windows, take orders and fill the orders. They never write down an order. And, I mean never. You might order for 20 people and they'll remember it all correctly. It's still a little (or, a lot) old fashioned at Hank's. While the girls are at the counter, the guys man the cranky old custard machines. These machines, already used when Hank's set up shop 60 years ago, require constant attention. Below, one of the young guys checks the machine and custard.



Below - the counter at Hank's.

My aunt and my cousin's daughter, below.




3 comments:

ColleenC said...

Cute!

Brian Flanagan said...

I am compelled to comment on your description of Hank's. Hank's Frozen Custard is NOT just soft serve ice cream, it's the best and richest soft serve ice cream on the planet. :)

Renee said...

Oh - this is the first place I'd visit on my first evening at your lake! Love the photo of the hand scraping out the ice cream. Yum!