Saturday, July 11, 2009

Amish Fish Dinner

One of my favorite things to do here is to read the local classified papers. You find adds for everything you can imagine, including all of the local events. Another of my favorite things to do here is to watch the Amish, so when I saw the ad for the Amish Fish Dinner (at Noah Yoder's farm) to benefit the Andover Amish School, I knew I had to go. Dinner included fried fish, french fries, coleslaw, beans, white bread, pie and ice cream. Amish women served the food, the men made the ice cream and the kids ran around the farm.

A horse and buggy parked next to the barn.

Ben eating his second serving of Shoofly Pie. Shoofly Pie is a traditional Amish pie, but it's the first time we've seen it served at any of the Amish places we've visited in this area of Pennsylvania. It's made with molasses, which attracts flies, hence the name.

Ben is actually shooing a fly in this picture.

The fields behind the barn.

No comments: